- 22 July 2015 I have been updating the tables of Sports Day records from 1974 - present day. So far this is up to date as far as 2011, with the next four years to follow shortly.
- 4 July 2015 With Sports Day approaching next week, I thought I would look back to 2003, the first year I have a good collection of photos taken on a digital camera. 68 photos have been uploaded to the site.
- 29 June 2015 30 photos sent by Janet Robson in 2002 have been added. They cover events from 1946 to 1951. They include some sports day photos - I am working on a page covering sports over the years. Coming soon,
- 23 June 2015 Following Alex Russell's email, I realised the 1978 Oliver photos were not on the site. They are now.
- 23 June 2015 I have been sorting through material related to Malton National School, which closed in 1958 on the opening of the County Modern. There are some photos, and a few notes and memories of the school. I would welcome any more information about the school and any of the photographs.
- 22 June 2015 A photo from Gavin's Malton in The Past site has been added to the 1940s section - not sure if it belongs there. Not sure either which Malton School it is - National or Grammar? There are some names provided by Brian Freer. More information would be gratefully received.
- 21 June 2015 Inspired by a County Modern whole school picture on Gavin's Malton In The Past Facebook page, I have converted all the whole school panoramic photographs (1922 to 1968) into pdf files. These photos are very long and narrow, so do not usually fit on a computer screen well. Conversion to pdf format should allow you to enlarge to a suitable size and scroll along the many faces on view. A couple in the archive do have complete lists of names - haven't yet decided how best to affix these to the photos. Working on it.
- 20 June 2015 Howard Campion alarted me to an excellent Facebook page called Malton In The Past, run by Gavin Read. It is a fascinating collection of old photographs from Malton and the surrounding area, to which some people have been able to add detail and names. Four are connected with schooldays, and I have downloaded them to include on this site in the near future.
- 31 May 2015 2 photos from the 1930s added. One is of Eric "Bunny" Farnell, probably on his first day at the school, sent in by his daughter Rose. The other is of the whole school in 1936, a panoramic photo, the last one featuring headmaster Ernest Loraine Watt. Also sent by Rose, whose dad is 13th from the right at the front.
- 24 May 2015 16 photos from the 2006 Year 11 prom added. More to go as time permits.
- 22 May 2015 I have set up a structure for photographs from the Year 11 proms, which used to take place around this time of year, though I believe they now take place towards the end of June, after exams have finished. I have put at least one photo on each page for each year they have run (2003 - 2014). I will then try and add more over the coming days. There are hundreds of photos from these events - the beauty or the curse of digital cameras.
- 20 May 2015 Apologies for something of a gap in communications. An enjoyable holiday in the Lake District and some pressing deadlines for my maths writing with Oxford University Press are the cause. I will make up for the gap over the next week. Followers of the site might start by reading the recent contact from Howard Campion, Brian Newcombe and Mike Dunning, and then I hope to be putting some Year 11 and Year 13 leavers photos on from the past.
- 27 April 2015 I noticed it was just over 10 years ago (January 2005) that the Science block was officially opened. I have found 24 photographs charting the building of the science extension in 2004, which are now on the site. More on the opening and the interior to follow.
- 5 April 2015 With Easter upon us, I thought I would look back ten years to the Easter Show of 2005. It was 50s Night that year, and 43 photographs from the night, plus the programme, are now available on the site.
- 22 March 2015 I am currently working on a war memorial to hang in the school, in memory of those who died in the two World Wars. Whilst researching, I came across a list in The Maltonian 1918 of those who served in the First World War, Pro Rege Patria Que (for King and Country). Now on the site.
- 15 March 2015 With Comic Relief passing the one billion pound raised mark at the weekend, photos from a couple more Comic Relief days from the past have been added. 2003 and 2007.
- 13 March 2015 A small update on Sheila Pratt's life. I have been reading Maltonian magazines for 1951-1955, and she writes from Edinburgh University after gaining a B.Com., and then from Oxford where she is assistant personnel manager at Oxford University Press. Hopefully I will find a little more from the net volume of magazines. One day I will scan them all, put them on this site, and then they will be open to the use of a search engine for finding details of people.
- 7 March 2015 The School has produced its Spring Newsletter, available on the school website, or from the Newsletter archive on this site.
- 7 March 2015 More Comic Relief photos, this set from 1999.
- 1 March 2015 With Comic Relief approaching, I have added some pictures from a 1989 Comic Relief disco. No names or details, so if you are in the photos, please get in touch!
- 23 February 2015 A 1959 whole school photo sent in by John White has been added to the panoramic photos page as a pdf file, which is steadily being deveoped.
- 22 February 2015 Some programmes from the 1958 and 1959 Speech Days, plus a 1960 Sports Day programme, have been added to the site.
- 13 February 2015 The School received a fantastic bequest this week, for £100 000. It was left by Sheila Pratt, a former Head Girl. What information I can find about Sheila is on a memorial page on the site. If anyone has more information or memories please do let me know.
This excellent news prompted me to upload some more 1940s photographs, which were sent in by Norman Race in 2002, and include a 1947 Form V photo with Sheila Pratt on.
- 6 February 2015 The 1956 Malton Grammar School whole school panoramic picture sent in by John White has been uploaded to the Panoramics gallery. These pictures are the wrong shape for computer screens. I have tried loading a couple using a screen scroller routine, but this one I have put on as a pdf file, so you can use your Acrobat Reader to do the sizing and scrolling. I would be interested to know how this works for people. I will do the same with the 1958 and 1961 photos John sent, and then all the other panoramics eventually. Also added a 1955 Form 1 photo from John, and a few names to 1958 Fom III.
- 5 February 2015 John White sent me a copy of the 1962 Speech Day programme. Lots of names and destinations, an example of what Speech Day looked like 50 years ago. Also some photos which I have yet to put on the site.
John also filled in a Friends form, and would be interested to hear from anyone at school when he was. Just email me and I will pass on your details if you wish to make contact.
- 20 January 2015 A couple of additions and corrections to the trophies page. Also Volume 10 of the Maltonian 1961 - 1965 added, though not as yet with all the links and photos.
- 16 January 2015 I found a video on a memory stick. Year 2011 Maths Class and Push A Little Button. I have uploaded it onto You Tube and it is available from the video page/songs page.
- 11 January 2015 Summaries of Volume 9 of the Maltonian now added. 1956 to 1960, and the opening of the new extension (the 40s corridor and East Wing Gym/Hall in more modern terms). Including links to 1959 plays As You Like It, The Little Man, The Countess Cathleen, and The Fish, and the programme from the opening of the County Modern School and the Grammar School extensions.
- 9 January 2015 Moved on to Volume 8 of The Maltonian 1951-1955. Again this led to the addition of various tributes to staff and students -Monica Fraser, Helena Platts, G H Mudge, Alfred Barty, George Barker, Horace Hollinrake, T A Williams. Also the addition of two photos of The Prefab, 1953.
- 6 January 2015 Working through some summaries of the Maltonian magazine in the 1940s. This has led to the addition of two sports day photographs donated by Dave Thackray in 2003, a list of Sports Day winners 1941-1970, and a 1946 Sport Day programme, . Also added extracts from the September 1966 Maltonian, all relating to the proposals for change to the Grammar School and Secondary Modern.
- 30 December 2014 More searching through previous Christmas shows revealed six photos and a cast list from the 1960 production of Murder in the Cathedral, with Mr Martindale and Mr Lumb in the key roles.
- 21 December 2014 Looking back over Christmas productions pre-2000, most were full productions of plays - cheery Christmas Fayre such as Macbeth or Murder in the Cathedral. In 1965, however, there was "A Christmas Carve Up" - a satirical revue show. No photos, but there is a cast list available.
- 20 December 2014 A couple of name corrections and additions for Christmas 2005. Thanks to Alex Goodyear and Matt Lawson. Any more please?
- 19 December 2014 Christmas Show 2006 pictures added.
- 18 December 2014 The current Malton School website has regular news updates and access to a colourful termly newsletter. I have added the most recent newsletters to the newsletter archive on this site, which is now complete with issues from 1996-2014.
- 17 December 2014 With Christmas almost upon us I thought it would be good to revisit the 2005 Christmas Show. Aladdin was the mini-pantomime that year.
- 10 December 2014 I have converted all the Celebration Evening Powerpoint Slide Shows to pdf format documents (2000-2014). They are available from the Celebration page.
- 29 November 2014 I attended an excellent Celebration Evening at the school last week, which gave a powerful message of a successful school with very talented and active students, both in and out of school hours. I have put the programme for the evening on the site, and also the programmes for the last 15 years. The programmes contain a review of the year as well as information on awards. There is also a gallery of the new trophies produced for this year on my own website.
I have also put the Powerpoint show (part 1 and part 2) from the Celebration Evening on the site. Quite large pdf files with lots of photos, so be prepared for a little waiting, but hopefully worth it. I will put the powerpoints from other years on the site at a later date.
- 21 November 2014 Former Head of English Alex Joannidis died in 2012. Last month a bequest of £3000 arrived at school from Alex's estate. A memorial prize has been created in his memory. Some notes remembering Alex have been placed on this site.
- 20 November 2014 Today is Malton School's annual celebration evening. More on this later, but for the time being if you would like to look at some of the trophies I made for the evening (42 of them), have a look on my other website at oldfern.co.uk
- 19 November 2014 If you haven't already seen plans for what amounts to a new village in Malton, you may be interested in the Malton Estate website - the Fitzwilliam Trust's site. There is a link there to High Malton, which explains the plans for a large housing development near Malton School, at the end of Middlecave Road. It includes a virtual tour of the new village.
- 4 November 2014 8 pictures from 1960-1964 sent in by Tony Kirby have been added to the 60s gallery.
- 24 October 2014 Eight more Y7 pictures added, this time all the form groups from 1997 and 1998. Uncertain on names, but I have listed the registration groups from that year.
- 19 October 2014 Added 6 pictures from 1982 1983 1987 and 1988 of outdoor pursuits and watersports trips organised by Keith Williams.
- 18 October 2014 Added 5 Year 7 pictures from 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006. More to follow - it is a question of unscrewing them from the wall in school, scanning, and then replacing.
- 15 October 2014 1962 Form 3A added, with some names. More to find, anyone?
- 11 October 2014 A little history - I have added the contents of a three page article about Malton School that featured in Yorkshire Life, 1963. Some good facts about the history of the school, and a few photos. A copy of the magazine is in the Maltonians archive.
- 9 October 2014 Margaret Blunt, daughter of Audrey Howarth, asked for this announcement to be posted here:
A short memorial will be held by the family
(Guy Thompson and Margaret Blunt nee Thompson, also pupils at Malton School) of Audrey Thompson (neé Howarth) 1926-2014) at Malton Cemetery at 11AM on Thursday 23rd October. Please contact Margaret Blunt 07816 675408 for more details. Margaretmaryblunt@gmail.com
- 8 October 2014 With a sponsored walk at school this afternoon, I thought I would dig out some photos of walks in the past. The first I could find are from September 2005.
- 7 October 2014 I have been working on a framework for photographs of Year 13 leavers' proms. Framework and index created, plus a selection of photos from the 2002 and 2003 proms at The Feathers in Helmsley.
- 30 September 2014 Following an email from Alice Thompson, updating me on her university course, I dug out some pictures of the Year 13 prom from 2012 - the last one I attended, and the one where Alice was prom queen. There are lots more photos in addition to the 12 I have uploaded (about 200 more!), so this is just a taster.
- 23 September 2014 Not the most thrilling of updates, but I have gone through the staff database for Malton School since 1971, updating the leaving dates, and splitting the list in two - a list of present staff, and a list of leavers. Present staff will have a few omissions, until I learn of new appointments for this year, perhaps in the first newsletter.
Also added the 2014-15 names to the Head Boy and Girl list.
- 18 September 2014 With an open evening about to take place at school, I thought I would put an album of 19 photos from a 1998 open evening on to the site.
- 14 September 2014 The start of the new school year prompted me to look for Year 7 photographs from the past. A 1997 form group (Mr Vagianos), and Year 7 with their choice of reading books from 1999 and 2000 have been added (around 100 photos).
- 26 August 2014 Updated a 1962 MGS prefects photo with names, sent by Tony Kirby. Also a correction to a 1950s play photo headed 1954 Twelfth Night, - Howard Fox emailed to tell me it was 1959 As You Like It.
- 24 August 2014 Following Stephen Mills emailing, I have uploaded a few Christmas pictures from 2005-2009; more to follow.
- 22 August 2014 With A level results last week, and GCSE results this week, I was prompted to add some coverage of results days from the past. To date I have put press releases and photos from 2000 to 2009 on the site. More to come.
- 19 August 2014 Following Richard Taylor's enquiry about 1971 photos, I have uploaded 23 photos from a 1971 photo album taken in the final year of the Grammar School.
- 7 August 2014 Rosy Thacker (Taylor's) email prompted me to upload 28 pictures from the 1950s and 1960s that she passed on to me when I met her back in 2003. Not too many details on these, so any information welcome.
- 6 August 2014 Tony Kirby emailed his best attempts at naming Form II in the 1958 album. Still a couple of unknowns to go.
- 29 July 2014 With the centenary of The Great War approaching (4 August), I have added a World War 1 page with some details of Maltonians who lost their lives in the war, and of Mr Williams, who served in both the navy and army. Also a Roll of Honour for the First and Second World Wars, extracted from the Maltonians magazine.
- 17 July 2014 Tony Kirby sent in a Friends form, and some information on a 1962 photo. In response I thought I would upload some memories of 1956-64 that Tony wrote back in 2003, and a complete 1958 album, in which he must appear, although I do not as yet have his name on any of the photos.
- 10 July 2014 Aerial photos from 1951, 1958, 1964, 1998 and 2009 added to the photo gallery.
- 5 July 2014 Added a prospectus from 1963, and by way of contrast, one from 2011. Poles apart in style. The early prospectus includes an interesting description of the sixth form, and who should attend it, as well as detailed lists of school uniform and school rules
- 28 June 2014 Added 7 photos from 1981-2, mainly of a 6th form fancy dress party.
- 23 June 2014 Returned from holiday. Added some photos of plays in 1981 and 1983 sent to me by Adrian Everitt - prompted by his emailing me from Lima in Peru, where he has lived for many years.
- 19 June 2014 A break as exam preparation with individual students squeezed the time available, and then a holiday in Cornwall. Newsletters are now complete from 1996 to 2014.
- 25 May 2014 Newsletters now uploaded back to 2002. A 1962 Form VI photo from Philip Lonsdale has been added to the 1960s gallery.
- 23 May 2014 Added lists of County Modern staff and Grammar School staff 1911-1971. Also added some names to the 1955 Form III and 1955 football pictures, with thanks to Howard Campion. Newsletters from 2006-7 added. A video of 2007 Year 11 leavers' messages for the future has been uploaded.
- 22 May 2014 Added a list of Grammar School staff 1547-1904
- 14 May 2014 Improved the search facility with some cgi scripting courtesy of kScripts.
- 12 May 2014 Added 15 pictures from the Grammar School 1969 - mainly form groups and sports teams.
- 11 May 2014 Completed Christmas 2004 with 12 pictures of the Senior Citizens Christmas party.
- 9 May 2014 Added 21 pictures from Christmas 2004. And an update on the recent Grammar School Reunion
- 8 May 2014 Set up a Twitter page @maltonians
- 6 May 2014 Added Terry Pallister's detailed, if not complimentary, memories of Malton Senior School in the 1950s.
- 6 May 2014 In response to Ed Richmond's request (below) Mrs Audsley managed to find a scan of the Year 11 2004-9 Yearbook, at least as far as it got. Apparently it never did get published - the team didn't come in to finish off the printing and binding. What there is of it, in its rough state, has been put on the site on the Leavers' documents page.
- 6 May 2014 Prompted by Pat Gorringe (Pallister) emailing, I have added 13 more photos to the 1950s collection, some sent by, and including, Pat when she was at school.
- 5 May 2014 Returned to Christmas 2003 and completed the photo gallery for the Christmas party that year. Lots of names missing - can anyone can help?
- 4 May 2014 Broke off from Christmas 2003 because Ed Richmond got in touch and asked if I had a 2009 Yearbook. I haven't found one yet, but I did find the 2009 Leavers' Booklet, which includes 4 pages of photographs of the year group. I stripped out the telephone numbers and addresses as they didn't seem appropriate for this website, but I have put the rest on a new Leavers documents page which will eventually have all the leavers' booklets on.
- 25 April 2014 Photos from Christmas 2003 have been added - Christmas Show and the Pantomime. Senior Citizens Party still to come.
- 22 April 2014 Started contacting email addresses from the old database (2008) of Maltonian contacts. Lots no longer exist, returning undeliverable messages, but some do. Also about to open up on the Maltonians Facebook page. I have started putting photographs from Christmas shows 2000-2011 on the site. Quite a task, but this is how I see the site progressing - each week I will add material from a section, period or theme. Hopefully as people get to know about the site they will look at this new content (and older content) and help me with missing facts and information. Names in particular are always a struggle for me. So many familiar faces, but no names with them.
- 15 April 2014 The Friends of Malton School pages have been added, including a simple form to register as a Friend. Also a Maltonians Facebook page has been added. Not sure if I can maintain such a page once it becomes visible, but I will give it a try.
- 13 April 2014 More videos uploaded. Also descriptions of two recent books - The History of Norton College by Dick Young, and 300 years of continuity and change: families and business in Malton from the 18th Century to the present by Norman Maitland.
- 5 April 2014 Spent a week looking at video and trialling different methods of having vidoe clips on the site. Decided the best method is to set up a Maltonians channel on YouTube, then create links to this on the site, embedding the videos in a gallery page. Copied some videos from the school server whilst in school, then uploaded a few to YouTube and made them available via some Video pages
- 24 March 2014 Went through the check routines to tidy up the site. Removed almost all of the broken links, and a number of redundant pages. All should be OK now. Also added some pages on making a bequest, and some more newsletters.
- 17 March 2014 A week spent on completing the Photo gallery, with pictures of places around Malton, including the Old Grammar School. I think this completes the main structure of the site, although there is still much to upload. The next task is to go through every page and check that the links work in all directions, and that the photographs are appropriately sized.
- 10 March 2014 Spent the last few days creating a new section, People. I found a number of pages on the old site which did not really fit into other existing categories - tributes, biographies, memories, and photographs of visitors and reunions. Once again only enough material to create a structure has been put on the site, there is much more yet to upload.
- 6 March 2014 A long haul over a week sorting out the staff photo gallery and the buildings photo gallery - at least the structure is now there, and hopefully the links all work, although there are still photos to add. Did some tidying up of files, so the old site is no longer available as a website. Some search engines may still have pages from that site in their index - apologies to anyone looking for something that is no longer there.
- 27 February 2014 Added 7 newsletters from 2011-12, my final year at school. These are six ordinary ones, plus a Centenary Special, to mark the 100 years that Malton School had existed on the Middlecave Road site.
- 26 February 2014 Added some "What's New" updates from the old site, 1999-2012. These act as a diary for Maltonian related events during these years. At this point links to the old site are about to be severed.
Jane Goodwill posted commenta on the Maltonians Facebook page 25 June 2015.
Names for the 1989 Red Nose pictures: Hedley Brown, Duncan Brookes, John Duggleby, Marcus Lee, Nick Dyson, and Alec Warters and Johnnie Jon Hubery
Robert Ceely commented on the Maltonians Facebook Page 25 June 2015.
Robert spotted himself on the 1989 Comic Relief photos, and named a few of his friends in the picture as well. Julie Cheesman and Katie Joanne Wilkinson also commented. Still some names to find though.
Alec Russell sent an email on 4 June 2015.
I was very interested to see the photographs of Oliver! from Malton School in 1978. I was the photographer who took them.
At that time I was doing a great deal of stage photography (York Theatre Royal and Alan Ayckbourn's Theatre-in-the-Round at Scarborough). My two sons were at the school at the time and I think my eldest worked on the stage management side. I do remember that it was an excellent production and I was impressed by the professionalism of it all. I am certain that you will get many recollections from members of the cast and audiences.
Alec now specialise in horseracing photography.
Rose Forshaw sent a Facebook message 25 May 2015.
Rose sent two photographs of her dad, Eric Bernard Farnell, who was head boy in 1942. Eric used to live with his mother in a house by Newsham Bridge, recently demolished.
Mike Smith emailed on 22 May 2015.
Mike sent in a few memories prompted by the 1962 photo and memories posted by Brian Newcombe earlier this week.
Brian Newcombe sent an email on 17 May 2015
Brian emailed to offer some additional names for the 1958 Form I photograph on which he appears. He also sent a few memories of his days at school. and a
1962-3 6th form photo with names and details.
Mike Dunning sent an email on 5 May 2015
Mike Dunning filled in a Friends form "having spotted myself in the football team photo's submitted by Keith Richardson. It brought back some great memories of life in Malton and friends I made whilst at school. Mike was at school 1963-8. He currently lives in Worcestershire. He is happy for any old school friends to contact him. Contact me and I will pass on his email address.
Howard Campion sent an email on 2 May 2015
Howard reported on a successful annual reunion, with 35 people attending. He provides an attendance list, and sadly an inevitable list of those no longer with us. I have put these in the Reunions Update.
Howard Campion sent an email on 2 April 2015
Howard sent an invite to the annual reunion at The Lodge on Tuesday 28 April. I am sure the invite extends to all former students - if you are interested and not already signed up, get in touch and I will forward your email to Howard.
He also sent a couple of bits of trivia from years past - a 1957 Parents Guild letter, and a 1958 reunion letter.
Kitty Grove-Stephenson, nee Thackray, Facebook message March 2015
Kitty reports that she suffered a heart attack two weeks ago. She is recovering, just out of hospital having had a stent implant. Still very breathless and fragile - she says that "sorting my my immediate schedules will take time (and ingenuity)". Best wishes for your recovery Kitty.
Howard Campion sent an email on 15 February 2015
Howard sent scans of 1958 and 1959 Speech Day programmes, together with a scan of the 1960 Sports Day programme. The programmes are printed on thin paper, so with age the print from the back comes through to the front, and the 1960 Sports Day paper has yellowed, but the key information is all still legible.
Malton School received a letter on 9 February 2015.
The letter was from the executors of Sheila Pratt's estate, and included a most generous cheque for £100 000! Sheila was a pupil of Malton Grammar School 1943-1950, ending her time here as Head Girl. She went on to become a pioneer editor of the Law Society Gazette, and lived in Picotts End near Hemel Hemstead for the last 30 years of her life. I found this 1947 picture of her with a little help from Kitty Grove-Stephenson.
John (Chalky) White emailed on 22 January 2015.
John confirms that the Audi Alteram Partem badge (in the Objects gallery) is indeed the prefects badge from the sixties. He still has his from his time as prefect, and latterly Head Boy, in 1961-2. He also still has his cricket colours. It is always good to get some confirmation about details of the items on the site and in the archive. He is in a 1961 photo in the science lab.
Mike Smith emailed on 29 December 2014.
Mike filled in a Friends form and says he would love to hear from anyone he was at school with (MGS 1956-63). He is still in regular contact with Mick Dixon, but has lost touch with most others. He is currently living in Kenilworth. If you want to get in touch email me and I will pass on your details. I have added a few details to the Memories page.
Michael Crawshaw emailed on 24 December 2014
Michael noted the memorial to Alex Joannidis, who he remembers as "a truly fantastic teacher". Not related to teacher Melvyn Crawshaw, but remembers him as a form teacher and geometrical drawing teacher.
Kitty Grove-Stephenson, nee Thackray, emailed on 19 December 2014
Kitty continues to raise money for charity through ever-more amazing challenges. This time she went on a mile long zip-wire, reaching speeds of 100mph, and in the process raised £3160 for Multiple Sclerosis Research. It might be worth pointing out that Kitty was at Malton School from 1943 to 1948, so that makes her ... well, not a youngster! 82?
Anthony Hare emailed on 30 November 2014
Anthony provided a few more names to the 1963-4 prefects picture that Tony Kirby sent in.
M Rafik emailed on 24 Nov 2014. M Rafik (sorry, I do not know his full name) was an old schoolfriend of Alex Joannidis, back in Alexandria, Egypt, in the 1950s. He was pleased to see the additions to the site in memory of Alex, some of which he provided. He tells me that he has informed other classmates of the website, and a number have also viewed the tributes.
Gillian Neufield was in touch (via a friend) 19 Nov 2014. Gillian lives in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, but spends a month in Malton each year at her old house on Middlecave Road. She was in the sixth form at Malton in 1949 - 51. She doesn't use the internet, but if anyone would like to get in touch, please let me know and I will arrange contact.
Tony Kirby wrote 29 October 2014
Tony sent 8 photos from his time at Malton Grammar School in the early 1960s. A production of Androcles and the Lion, a trip to Malham, 1963-4 prefects, and a 1962 speech day. Tony has kindly donated the pictures to the school archive.
Matthew Lawson messaged on 18 October, in response to the Y7 photos.
Matthew asked for a 1998 photo please. I think the other 1998 Year 7 forms are on the wall in West Wing, so I will attempt to unscrew and scan next time I am in school Matthew. Update 24/10/14. I have uploaded them Matthew. Which one is you?
Wendy Tasker messaged on 18 October, in response to the Y7 photos.
Wendy asked for a 1980 photo please. Sorry Wendy - 1980s are very scarce, at least in my collection. Does anyone have a 1980 1st year photo with Wendy on it? I have put 6 pictures from the 1980s on, of outdoor pursuits trips with Kieth Williams - the closest I could find.
John Smith emailed on 15 October 2014
John provided a missing names for a 1962 photo, and sent another, of Form 3A 1962 with about half the names. John would love to hear from anyone at MGS in the 1960s - let me know and I will pass on his email, or look him up on Facebook.
Dave Evans emailed on 12 October 2014
Dave tells me that in addition to being in the Yorkshire Life 1963 photo receiving a prize, he is blowing his own trumpet in the orchestra, and sat on the front row of the audience.
Lizzie Stallybrass (now Hunt) emailed in October 2014
Lizzie provided a number of names for the photos of the Year 13 A level prom at the Feathers, Helmsley, in 2003 - Lizzie was one of the yeargroup. Lizzie is now down in Islington.
Helen Williams (nee Dawson) filled in a Friends form and emailed on 2 October 2014
I couldn't find her on a picture, but she tells me she is playing the violin in the orchestra on the 2nd page of the 1970s gallery, and in front of the minibus on the 3rd.
Margaret Blunt, daughter of Audrey Howarth, emailed on 9 October 2014 Margaret got in touch to tell me that her mother died earlier this year, and that her family will be holding a memorial service later this month. Audrey Howarth, who married to become Audrey Thormpson, taught English, history and French at Malton Grammar School 1948 - 1953. She was also involved with the girl guides at the school. See the announcement in the progress log to the left.
Meeting with Richard Young 28 September 2014
Remarkably I met Dick Young on a visit to Lindisfarne Castle on Sunday. We were both (independently) spending a couple of days up in Northumberland on a short break. Although we live a couple of miles apart we seldom bump into each other in the Pickering area.
Rachel M sent an email on 22 September 2014
Rachel emailed to say well done with the new website, and update me on her work in media communications and PR.
Greta Clowes (nee Labistour) wrote in September 2013
Greta wrote a year ago with memories of her time at Malton Grammar School when she was evacuated from Hull during World War II. I cam across the letter today, so I have finally uploaded it to the site, as promised.
Howard Fox sent an email on 26 August 2014
Howard emailed to point out that a photo I had as 1954 Twelfth Night in Rosie Taylor's collection, is in fact 1959 As You Like It. All these corrections are much appreciated - before 1993 I must rely on people's recollection and information to try and make this site a true and correct record.
Alex Stephenson sent an email on 26 August 2014
Alex got in touch to add a name to Tony Kirby's list for the 1958 Form II photo, in the 1958 album recently posted - the name being Robin Tuke, who lived at Ampleforth. Alex is in the form II picture as well.
Stephen Mills sent an email on 23 August 2014
Stephen Mills emailed having just found the website. He confirms it is him in the 2002 Christmas pictures, complete with tinsel tie. He also mentioned that some of the links didn't work on the Christmas shows page - I checked and it is because I haven't completed the pages. I have put some temporary pages in for now, and will upload more of the pictures in the coming weeks.
Tony Kirby sent an email on 11 August 2014
Tony emailed a list of the prefects in 1962, as pictured in Rosie Taylor's collection. He thinks it must have been taken in September or October of the year, as Patrick Youdan is featured, who died in November of the year.
Richard Taylor sent an email 15 June 2014
Richard emailed to ask about copies of photographs from 1971 Malton Grammar School. There is a full album from the final year of the Grammar School which is in the school archive. I have uploaded the 23 photos in the 1970s photo gallery. Hopefully Richard and others may be able to add some names and other details to them.
Rosy Thacker (nee Taylor), sent an email on 27 July 2014
Rosy now lives in Matlock, and emailed having noticed the contacts from Paul Whitwell and the 1962 photograph with her on it. She is currently researching and writing a book on Matlock as a resort town.
Paul Whitwell sent an email on 15 June 2014
Paul sent in six more names for the photograph mentioned below - 1962 September Sixth Form - sent in by Philip Lonsdale. Paul is one of the six additions. Between Paul and Philip I think all names are now sorted. Unless you know differently.
Matthew and Philippa Johnson sent an email on 15 June 2014
Matthew sent 7 photos from 1981-2 . These are colour snaps, probably taken by Matthew. Two are on the school field, and five are from an interesting looking Sixth Form fancy dress party, where cross-dressing seems to have been the theme. He provides some names, but thre are question marks to fill in if anyone can oblige.
Philip Lonsdale sent an email on 25 May 2014
Phil sent a 1962 September group photo, framed and clearly part of a professional photographer's portfolio. He thinks the group is probably Form V, or Form VI. They are with Mr Bower. Phil gives names for a number of those in the photo - Michael Bogue, Clive Duggleby, Susan Corner, Philip Lonsdale, Bernadette Holt, Richard Young, Penny Howarth, Rosie Taylor, Pam Inman, Jackie Coulthard, Josie, Sheila Raines. Can anyone fill in the missing names?
Christopher Garrett sent a letter on 19 May 2014
Chris, now 75, living in Cheshire, is the 4x removed grandson of the Reverend Harry Garrett, who was the Headmaster of Malton Grammar School 1866-1904. He purchased The History of Malton School 1547-2006, and mentions that his granddaughter, Sophie Hadwin, is about to start teaching at Norton Primary School. This brings something of a circular connection for the family. The letter prompted me to add a list of the staff of Malton Grammar School, 1547 - 1904, indeed all staff lists, to the site.
Howard Campion sent an email on 15 May 2014
Howard sent a few corrections and additions to the 1955 Form III picture, and the 1955 football team. 'David Oldfield [ from Hovingham and known as 'Spadge' for some reason]; EDWIN Prest [his brother still?  drives the Terrington school bus] ... Aurea Craggs [from Habton], ... Elizabeth Bowman [from Norton] ... Brenda North [from Hovingham]. ... Robert SARGISON is another corrected name and he can also be seen sitting on the second row [with Mother] of the sports day photograph.
Mary (Bayfield) Cowton sent an email on 10 May 2014
Mary provided some names for the 1962 Form 1 Alpha and 1965 Mrs Williams Form 4A photos. She remembers that Mrs Williams kept her group for two years because they 'were such a good class'! Also in the picture: Christine Pirie was known as Poppy to her friends, which carried on from junior school because she had a red and green hat and coat outfit. Michael Geldard became head boy. Mary promises more in the future, when she sorts out some of her photo boxes.
Howard Campion sent an email on 8 May 2014
Remarkably Howard realised that when he worked at Leeds General Infirmary back in the late 1960s, he worked with my brother Michael and his wife Valerie. He had not made the connection with the Fearnley's until this week. A photo of an evening at Farnley Hall in 1970 confirms the idea - Howard is performing some routine, and my brother is sat in the audience behind him. I love coincidences.
Howard also sent a list of attendees at the recent Malton Grammar School reunion, and a brief description.
Pat Gorringe emailed on 4 May 2014
Pat had attended last week's reunion at The Lodge in Malton, and tells me that 'For the first time five girls of the year 1949 were there. We were Margaret (Ward) Gibson, Rita (Hudson) Postill, Jill (Hicks) Roe, Ann (Clark) ???? and Pat (Pallister) Gorringe. The first time I have seen Rita, Jill and Ann since we left in 1956.' Good to hear that rekindling of such memories still go on at the reunions. I have added Pat's 1950s pictures to the site. She also told me that her brother, Terry, had died last April (2013). Terry had written some detailed memories of Malton Senior School back in 2003. I have now included these in the Memories pages of this site.
Ed Richmond sent a message on 3 May 2014
Ed left in 2009. He asked the same question a number of others have asked - tried to get in touch with teachers via Facebook, but never got replies. I think teachers of necessity have to be cautious about their privacy, and their contact with young people, so please don't be offended if they don't reply to friends requests. I never did when I was still teaching, only after I retired. If you want to pass messages on, try it through this site and I will do my best. Ed is currently running two IT businesses in Hull.
Website launch 22/4/14
Decided the time was right to make the website public. Sent off emails to everyone on the old Maltonians database list (2008). About 80% came back undeliverable, but a few did elicit replies. My thanks to Dave Evans, Alan Burns, Brian Windsor, Jason Langley, Michael Willis, Jill Swailes, Simon Holden, Sam Davies for quick responses and positive replies.
Nancy Silverstein emailed on 13/1/14
She asks for help in locating the original owner of what she describes as a Malton High School ring from 1969. It was amongst her aunt's possessions and it has the initials TEM inscribed on it. As her aunt lived in Queens, New York, I wonder if the connection is with the other Malton School in the world - in Mississauga, Ontario? Any ideas anyone?
Chris Huxtable emailed on 25/12/13 (yes, Christmas day!)
Chris bought a copy of A History of Malton School, and found a picture of his Dad on page 40, running in the 220 yards race. He raises some doubt about the picture in the archive, which Brian Goforth had previously told me (in 2003) that it was him and 'Anderson'. Can anyone help clear up the confusion?
Dave Evans emailed on 31/10/13
Dave, who now lives in Johannesburg, South Africa, contacted me to fill in some details on the Derwent Chess Trophy found in the school cupboard. (More will follow)
Greta Clowes wrote on 20/9/13
Greta wrote to say she was returning her library book just found - Pilgrim's Progress - 71 years late! (The letter will be added to the site at a later date)
Craig Bird posted on 17/9/13
Craig is a military collector who e-mailed having bought a WW1 commemorative item which appears to have the school badge on it. (More to follow)