Index from 2014
- 25 November 2015 With Children in Need last week, I thought I would look back to previous years. 11 years ago in 2004 there was a cross-dressing theme in the Sixth Form. Photos ....
- 24 November 2015 Last week saw the annual Celebration Evening held in the school hall. I was pleased to attend what was a very enjoyable event. I made all the trophies for the evening once again - you can see photos of them on my website at www.oldfern.co.uk. I have put a programme for the evening, and copies of the powepoint slides (minus the video clips) on the Celebration Evening page.
- 23 November 2015 The latest newsletter (Autumn 2015) has been added to the Newsletter index
- 11 November 2015. Armistice Day. Last week I attended a brief ceremony to unveil a plaque commemorating Malton Grammar School students who died in the two world wars. I made the plaque from a large piece of sycamore, and it is now on show in the new foyer at the East Wing of the school. I have added some pictures from the ceremony.
- 30 October 2015 I have been working on updating the staff lists on the site. These exist for different versions of the school, and it would be good to keep them correct as reference points for future times. Obviously the Malton School version continues to grow each year, so I have split it into those who have been and gone between 1971 and today, and those who are presently employed at the school. Quite a task to keep up to date - we used to publish leavers and arrivals in the September newsletter, but with newsletters changing and becoming three times a year this is no longer a source for this information. I hope I have got the lists correct and haven't missed anyone.
- 23 October 2015 Sue Sleightholme (Stonehouse) left three photographs for me at the School reception. They are from Malton County Modern days of 1959, 1960 and 1961. Two are very clear photos - a 1959 hockey XI and a 1960 trip to Rievaulx, a second hockey XI (1961) is a little grey against grey, but still the faces are quite clear. Sue provides almost all the names of those in the photos.
- 22 October 2015 Mrs Williams was the wife of former headmaster Thomas Arthur Williams, and Malton School teacher from 1935 to 1972. She donated a photograph album to the archive in 2001, which I have now put on the website, along with some biographical notes and an interview with her in 2002.
- 18 October 2015 I have added a pdf copy of Link magazine from 1977. A production that I think owed much to the efforts of Gillian Guildford.
- 18 October 2015 The School's sponsored walk in coming up on Wednesday, so I looked back and found 11 photos from 2004.
- 18 October 2015 The Summer 2015 Maltonian newsletter has been added to the archive.
- 14 October 2015 Eight photos from an archery group on Activity Day 2003.
- 13 October 2015 A handful of photos from a scuba diving group, taken on a Citizenship Day trip in July 2006.
- 24 September 2015 I started looking through pages to fill in some of the links that do not lead anywhere as yet. As a result I have added 9 photos from the 1940s sent in by Diana Kirkwood back in 2002. There are other photos from Kitty Thackray, Shirley Wheatley, Ray Metcalfe and Wilf Wise still to add from the same decade. Coming soon!
- 19 September 2015 16 pictures of Orienteering in Dalby Forest, 1999, as part of the activity day. This preceded the Rewards Trip day, and took place in the final week of term each year.
- 18 September 2015 The annual Rewards Trip where almost the whole school go off to Flamingoland is about to happen. These started in 2007, but I did not attend that year. I did go to Lightwater Valley in 2008, so I have started the Rewards trip photo gallery with 64 pictures from that year. Other years will follow.
- 3 September 2015 With the new term about to start, I found a couple of first day pictures from 2008 and 2009.
- 28 August 2015 Some photos of a 1984 production of Smike have been added to the 1980s gallery. I am fairly certain they are all 1984, though I believe there was a second production of Smike in 1993. Any information welcome.
- 20 August 2015 On a day when Malton School are reporting record GCSE results, with 81% of students gaining 5 A*-C grades, including English and Maths, I thought I would post photos and a press release from six years ago, the
2010 GCSE results day
- 16 August 2015 A level exam results this week, so I looked back six years and found a few photos (only four) and a press release from the 2010 A level results day.
- 10 August 2015 Posting the Switzerland pictures on the Maltonians Facebook page generated some interest, and some details of the trip. It was not a ski trip, but according to Chris Gill it was a trip to Interlaken in Switzerland in May 1985, organised by Mrs Smith. Names and details have been added to the page of photos.
- 5 August 2015 I have put 20 pictures from a ski trip to Switzerland some time in the 1980s onto the site. The trip was led by Richard Peters, who provided me with the photos in 2003, but beyond that I know very few details. Interlaken?
- 31 July 2015 The Sports Day records past and present are now up to date - that is, to include 2015's event.
- 22 July 2015 I have been updating the tables of Sports Day records from 1974 - present day. So far this is up to date as far as 2011, with the next four years to follow shortly.
- 4 July 2015 With Sports Day approaching next week, I thought I would look back to 2003, the first year I have a good collection of photos taken on a digital camera. 68 photos have been uploaded to the site.
- 29 June 2015 30 photos sent by Janet Robson in 2002 have been added. They cover events from 1946 to 1951. They include some sports day photos - I am working on a page covering sports over the years. Coming soon,
- 23 June 2015 Following Alex Russell's email, I realised the 1978 Oliver photos were not on the site. They are now.
- 23 June 2015 I have been sorting through material related to Malton National School, which closed in 1958 on the opening of the County Modern. There are some photos, and a few notes and memories of the school. I would welcome any more information about the school and any of the photographs.
- 22 June 2015 A photo from Gavin's Malton in The Past site has been added to the 1940s section - not sure if it belongs there. Not sure either which Malton School it is - National or Grammar? There are some names provided by Brian Freer. More information would be gratefully received.
- 21 June 2015 Inspired by a County Modern whole school picture on Gavin's Malton In The Past Facebook page, I have converted all the whole school panoramic photographs (1922 to 1968) into pdf files. These photos are very long and narrow, so do not usually fit on a computer screen well. Conversion to pdf format should allow you to enlarge to a suitable size and scroll along the many faces on view. A couple in the archive do have complete lists of names - haven't yet decided how best to affix these to the photos. Working on it.
- 20 June 2015 Howard Campion alarted me to an excellent Facebook page called Malton In The Past, run by Gavin Read. It is a fascinating collection of old photographs from Malton and the surrounding area, to which some people have been able to add detail and names. Four are connected with schooldays, and I have downloaded them to include on this site in the near future.
- 31 May 2015 2 photos from the 1930s added. One is of Eric "Bunny" Farnell, probably on his first day at the school, sent in by his daughter Rose. The other is of the whole school in 1936, a panoramic photo, the last one featuring headmaster Ernest Loraine Watt. Also sent by Rose, whose dad is 13th from the right at the front.
- 24 May 2015 16 photos from the 2006 Year 11 prom added. More to go as time permits.
- 22 May 2015 I have set up a structure for photographs from the Year 11 proms, which used to take place around this time of year, though I believe they now take place towards the end of June, after exams have finished. I have put at least one photo on each page for each year they have run (2003 - 2014). I will then try and add more over the coming days. There are hundreds of photos from these events - the beauty or the curse of digital cameras.
- 20 May 2015 Apologies for something of a gap in communications. An enjoyable holiday in the Lake District and some pressing deadlines for my maths writing with Oxford University Press are the cause. I will make up for the gap over the next week. Followers of the site might start by reading the recent contact from Howard Campion, Brian Newcombe and Mike Dunning, and then I hope to be putting some Year 11 and Year 13 leavers photos on from the past.
- 27 April 2015 I noticed it was just over 10 years ago (January 2005) that the Science block was officially opened. I have found 24 photographs charting the building of the science extension in 2004, which are now on the site. More on the opening and the interior to follow.
- 5 April 2015 With Easter upon us, I thought I would look back ten years to the Easter Show of 2005. It was 50s Night that year, and 43 photographs from the night, plus the programme, are now available on the site.
- 22 March 2015 I am currently working on a war memorial to hang in the school, in memory of those who died in the two World Wars. Whilst researching, I came across a list in The Maltonian 1918 of those who served in the First World War, Pro Rege Patria Que (for King and Country). Now on the site.
- 15 March 2015 With Comic Relief passing the one billion pound raised mark at the weekend, photos from a couple more Comic Relief days from the past have been added. 2003 and 2007.
- 13 March 2015 A small update on Sheila Pratt's life. I have been reading Maltonian magazines for 1951-1955, and she writes from Edinburgh University after gaining a B.Com., and then from Oxford where she is assistant personnel manager at Oxford University Press. Hopefully I will find a little more from the net volume of magazines. One day I will scan them all, put them on this site, and then they will be open to the use of a search engine for finding details of people.
- 7 March 2015 The School has produced its Spring Newsletter, available on the school website, or from the Newsletter archive on this site.
- 7 March 2015 More Comic Relief photos, this set from 1999.
- 1 March 2015 With Comic Relief approaching, I have added some pictures from a 1989 Comic Relief disco. No names or details, so if you are in the photos, please get in touch!
- 23 February 2015 A 1959 whole school photo sent in by John White has been added to the panoramic photos page as a pdf file, which is steadily being deveoped.
- 22 February 2015 Some programmes from the 1958 and 1959 Speech Days, plus a 1960 Sports Day programme, have been added to the site.
- 13 February 2015 The School received a fantastic bequest this week, for £100 000. It was left by Sheila Pratt, a former Head Girl. What information I can find about Sheila is on a memorial page on the site. If anyone has more information or memories please do let me know.
This excellent news prompted me to upload some more 1940s photographs, which were sent in by Norman Race in 2002, and include a 1947 Form V photo with Sheila Pratt on.
- 6 February 2015 The 1956 Malton Grammar School whole school panoramic picture sent in by John White has been uploaded to the Panoramics gallery. These pictures are the wrong shape for computer screens. I have tried loading a couple using a screen scroller routine, but this one I have put on as a pdf file, so you can use your Acrobat Reader to do the sizing and scrolling. I would be interested to know how this works for people. I will do the same with the 1958 and 1961 photos John sent, and then all the other panoramics eventually. Also added a 1955 Form 1 photo from John, and a few names to 1958 Fom III.
- 5 February 2015 John White sent me a copy of the 1962 Speech Day programme. Lots of names and destinations, an example of what Speech Day looked like 50 years ago. Also some photos which I have yet to put on the site.
John also filled in a Friends form, and would be interested to hear from anyone at school when he was. Just email me and I will pass on your details if you wish to make contact.
- 20 January 2015 A couple of additions and corrections to the trophies page. Also Volume 10 of the Maltonian 1961 - 1965 added, though not as yet with all the links and photos.
- 16 January 2015 I found a video on a memory stick. Year 2011 Maths Class and Push A Little Button. I have uploaded it onto You Tube and it is available from the video page/songs page.
- 11 January 2015 Summaries of Volume 9 of the Maltonian now added. 1956 to 1960, and the opening of the new extension (the 40s corridor and East Wing Gym/Hall in more modern terms). Including links to 1959 plays As You Like It, The Little Man, The Countess Cathleen, and The Fish, and the programme from the opening of the County Modern School and the Grammar School extensions.
- 9 January 2015 Moved on to Volume 8 of The Maltonian 1951-1955. Again this led to the addition of various tributes to staff and students -Monica Fraser, Helena Platts, G H Mudge, Alfred Barty, George Barker, Horace Hollinrake, T A Williams. Also the addition of two photos of The Prefab, 1953.
- 6 January 2015 Working through some summaries of the Maltonian magazine in the 1940s. This has led to the addition of two sports day photographs donated by Dave Thackray in 2003, a list of Sports Day winners 1941-1970, and a 1946 Sport Day programme, . Also added extracts from the September 1966 Maltonian, all relating to the proposals for change to the Grammar School and Secondary Modern.
Roy Stenton emailed on 22 November 2015
Roy spotted himself in a 1940s ATC photo which appeared in the Gazette and Herald a couple of weeks back. Roy tells me that the photo, of the ATC group in "skins", was taken because the group had recently won the area heats of a gymnastics competition. It appears in Mrs Williams' photo album, as Mr Williams is at the front of the group.
Jayne Watson emailed on 5 November 2015.
Jayne has two children currently at school. She was surprised to find out last year that the mother of her husband's Aunt Pearl had attended Malton Grammar School in the 1920s, and was possibly the first name on an Honours board in the school. Her name was Christiania Metcalfe. Does anyone have information about her, or about the Honours Board mentioned? I have not come across any honours boards when looking through old materials.
Chris Eaton emailed on 20 October 2015
Chris emailed having spotted himself in a 2003 Year 13 leavers photo - taken at the Feathers in Helmsley. He has been a Design Technology teacher for the last 10 years, inspired by Barry Miller and "super-safe Steve". He married his "school sweetheart" Claire White.
Julia Rowsby (Julia Mason) emailed on 17 October 2015.
Julia found a copy of the 1978 Oliver programme which she "came across while tidying out our loft." Not brilliantly clear, but authentic faded duplicating as was normal for the time, before the advent of photocopying for printing.
Richard Thornton emailed on 14 October 2015
In response to some photographs of sixth form groups fr0m the 1940s and 1950s appearing in the Gazette and Herald, Richard sent in his best efforts at remembering names of some of those in the pictures, including himself in the 1950-51 photo.
Florence Mary Baker's son John Brinkler emailed on 18 September 2015
John is doing some family history research. He thinks his mum appears 10th from the left, front row, on the 1926 whole school photo of MGS. He also mentions that his grandfather, Henry Leamington Baker, was principal at "the local reform school", which I assume would have been the Crambeck Approved School (or Crambeck Farm School). Any information from anybody on this will be very welcome.
Ashley Oliver messaged me on Facebook 29 August 2015.
Ashley spotted the Smike pictures, and tells me that although he wasn't in the production, he did take all the pictures I put on the site, and still has the originals. Thanks Ashley.
Roisin MacMahon messaged me on Facebook 29 July 2015.
I was absolutely shocked to hear her news, the terrible reality of Liam Miller's death in York this week. Liam was only 20, on vacation from studying for a graphic design degree at Liverpool John Moores. I don't know what to say or think, other than my thoughts go out to his family.
Jane Goodwill posted comments on the Maltonians Facebook page 25 June 2015.
Names for the 1989 Red Nose pictures: Hedley Brown, Duncan Brookes, John Duggleby, Marcus Lee, Nick Dyson, and Alec Warters and Johnnie Jon Hubery
Robert Ceely commented on the Maltonians Facebook Page 25 June 2015.
Robert spotted himself on the 1989 Comic Relief photos, and named a few of his friends in the picture as well. Julie Cheesman and Katie Joanne Wilkinson also commented. Still some names to find though.
Alec Russell sent an email on 4 June 2015.
I was very interested to see the photographs of Oliver! from Malton School in 1978. I was the photographer who took them.
At that time I was doing a great deal of stage photography (York Theatre Royal and Alan Ayckbourn's Theatre-in-the-Round at Scarborough). My two sons were at the school at the time and I think my eldest worked on the stage management side. I do remember that it was an excellent production and I was impressed by the professionalism of it all. I am certain that you will get many recollections from members of the cast and audiences.
Alec now specialise in horseracing photography.
Rose Forshaw sent a Facebook message 25 May 2015.
Rose sent two photographs of her dad, Eric Bernard Farnell, who was head boy in 1942. Eric used to live with his mother in a house by Newsham Bridge, recently demolished.
Mike Smith emailed on 22 May 2015.
Mike sent in a few memories prompted by the 1962 photo and memories posted by Brian Newcombe earlier this week.
Brian Newcombe sent an email on 17 May 2015
Brian emailed to offer some additional names for the 1958 Form I photograph on which he appears. He also sent a few memories of his days at school. and a
1962-3 6th form photo with names and details.
Mike Dunning sent an email on 5 May 2015
Mike Dunning filled in a Friends form "having spotted myself in the football team photo's submitted by Keith Richardson. It brought back some great memories of life in Malton and friends I made whilst at school. Mike was at school 1963-8. He currently lives in Worcestershire. He is happy for any old school friends to contact him. Contact me and I will pass on his email address.
Howard Campion sent an email on 2 May 2015
Howard reported on a successful annual reunion, with 35 people attending. He provides an attendance list, and sadly an inevitable list of those no longer with us. I have put these in the Reunions Update.
Howard Campion sent an email on 2 April 2015
Howard sent an invite to the annual reunion at The Lodge on Tuesday 28 April. I am sure the invite extends to all former students - if you are interested and not already signed up, get in touch and I will forward your email to Howard.
He also sent a couple of bits of trivia from years past - a 1957 Parents Guild letter, and a 1958 reunion letter.
Kitty Grove-Stephenson, nee Thackray, Facebook message March 2015
Kitty reports that she suffered a heart attack two weeks ago. She is recovering, just out of hospital having had a stent implant. Still very breathless and fragile - she says that "sorting my my immediate schedules will take time (and ingenuity)". Best wishes for your recovery Kitty.
Howard Campion sent an email on 15 February 2015
Howard sent scans of 1958 and 1959 Speech Day programmes, together with a scan of the 1960 Sports Day programme. The programmes are printed on thin paper, so with age the print from the back comes through to the front, and the 1960 Sports Day paper has yellowed, but the key information is all still legible.
Malton School received a letter on 9 February 2015.
The letter was from the executors of Sheila Pratt's estate, and included a most generous cheque for £100 000! Sheila was a pupil of Malton Grammar School 1943-1950, ending her time here as Head Girl. She went on to become a pioneer editor of the Law Society Gazette, and lived in Picotts End near Hemel Hemstead for the last 30 years of her life. I found this 1947 picture of her with a little help from Kitty Grove-Stephenson.
John (Chalky) White emailed on 22 January 2015.
John confirms that the Audi Alteram Partem badge (in the Objects gallery) is indeed the prefects badge from the sixties. He still has his from his time as prefect, and latterly Head Boy, in 1961-2. He also still has his cricket colours. It is always good to get some confirmation about details of the items on the site and in the archive. He is in a 1961 photo in the science lab.