THE CAREERS TEAM
Whole School Careers Lead – Mrs Donna Johnson, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone number 01653 605301
Careers Advisor – Julie Wood
Careers appointments coordinator – Mrs Sue Holden, email@example.com
At Malton School we have a wide range of careers opportunities for students throughout the school (Year’s 7-13). If you have any careers related questions or would like any advice then please contact Mrs Johnson, who is responsible for whole school careers. We have a whole school careers plan in place, you can find a copy of this and the careers policy below. If you would like further information on our careers policy please contact Mrs Johnson. The program is reviewed each academic year, the next review is September 2019.
We employ an independent careers advisor, Julie Wood, Julie is based with Prospects and is employed 25 days a year for Malton School. Julie joins us throughout the year to give advice to students in the upper school and 6th form, she may also meet with some students from Year 9. Julie will also operate a drop in session during lunchtime on all the days that she is in school. She will be located in the East Wing mentor room. If you would like your child to have a careers appointment please let Mrs Johnson know. Parents and Carers are more than welcome to accompany students to their appointments if they wish to do so.
A list of dates that Julie will be in school are available from Mrs Johnson.
CAREERS STATUTORY GUIDANCE
The DfE released a new statutory guidance document in January 2018, including a number of new requirements for school careers programmes, most of which are to be met by the end of 2020. Most of the requirements are already met at Malton School, but we are working towards those that are not.
The most immediate requirement is for all schools to have a policy for ‘Provider Access’ that sets out the arrangements for managing the access of providers to students at the school. At Malton School we welcome continued input from both existing and potential new partners. Our Provider Access Policy will be available shortly.
Malton School’s careers program is based around the government’s Gatsby Benchmarks:
- A stable careers programme – You can view our careers program here Whole School Careers programWhole School Careers program
- Learning from career and labour market information – Please click here Shape your future – labour market and curriculum to access a guide to labour market information. Please click here Yorkshire and Humber labour market and careers curriculum to access the website with relevant information around careers in the curriculum and labour market information.
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experience of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance – Julie Wood (Independent Careers advisor) John Brockett (Enterprise advisor)
Malton School successfully achieved the Quality in Careers standard award in July 2018. The Quality award is an assessment of the careers program within a school and Malton School has achieved all 8 Gatsby Benchmarks as a result of this. Further information around the Quality Award can be found here Quality Award.
Our assessment report can be read here QCS assessor report Malton School.
Malton School careers fair
We hold a very successful careers fair annually. Below are a list of providers that attended our last event.
- Access To Music
- Askham Bryan College
- Coventry University (Scarborough Campus)
- Craven College
- Derwent Training
- Edge Hill University
- Flamingo Land
- James Fisher Nuclear
- Nestle UK
- Newcastle University
- North Yorkshire Police
- Northern Racing College
- Scarborough TEC
- Swinton Tehnology
- Teeside University
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Hull
- University of Northumbria
- University of Sheffield
- University of York
- YH Training services
- York College
- York St John University
- Sirius Minerals
- Academy of Hair and Beauty
- Network rail
We want to involve parents in all aspects of careers. Please follow the link below to the ‘shape your future’ booklet for further information of local career opportunities.