Malton secondary modern
Malton Secondary Modern came into existence in 1958, with George Hanson as its Head and a roll of 300 pupils. The purpose-built premises were situated on the same site as the grammar school, separated by a few hundred yards and with adjoining playing fields. A hedge partially separated the Secondary Modern students from their Grammar School neighbours.
Mr Hanson actively sought the best for every pupil in his charge and willingly encouraged students who had the ability, to transfer to the Grammar School at either 12+ or 16+. However, by 1965 there was talk of further changes to the structure of education locally and in 1971 Malton Secondary Modern also ceased to exist.