School’s Continued Ambition Recognised in Ofsted Report
Most people reading this article will already be aware that the school was deemed by Ofsted to be consistently ‘Good’ across the board at its latest inspection in December 2023, with the Sixth Form being recognised as ‘Outstanding’. Whilst we are delighted with this outcome, which reflects all that we believe about Malton School, the grading is the culmination of years of hard work, dedication and a commitment to excellence by teaching, pastoral and support staff, senior leaders, Governors, as well as the ongoing support of parents and carers, and not forgetting the attitude our students show to all aspects of their learning. Key highlights from the report include:
1. This is an inclusive school which has very high ambition for its pupils.
2. Pupils are polite, respectful and happy. Pupils have good relationships with staff and feel safe at the school.
3. Most pupils behave well in lessons and move around the school sensibly.
4. Pupils are enthusiastic about learning and show positive attitudes towards adults.
5. The school has designed an ambitious curriculum.
6. Teachers have excellent subject knowledge. Pupils are well taught and enthusiastic about their learning … Pupils receive informative feedback that allows them to make progress through the curriculum.
7. The school prioritises reading. The school has introduced a plan to develop a strong culture of reading among all pupils.
8. The school provides a very wide range of personal development activities. These are designed to broaden and enrich pupils’ experiences and develop employability skills. The school has designed the timetable to ensure that all pupils access these opportunities.
9. Leaders constantly strive for excellence.
10. Staff are very proud to work at the school and feel well supported with their workload.
Speaking about the release of the report, Mr Williams, said, “I would like to express sincere thanks to all parents and carers, and the wider community, for your support of Malton School, both during the inspection and more generally over time. The entire community of the school is proud of how we go about our work and seek to genuinely work together to promote the development and best interests of the young people we serve. Long may this continue.”
Equally, after 4 years of careful planning, hard work and focus from the Sixth Form team, Director of Sixth Form, Nicky-Jo Cooper is delighted that the Sixth Form has been awarded the highest possible grade of ‘Outstanding’. In speaking with Sixth Form leaders, teaching and pastoral staff as well as students, Inspectors noted:
• Sixth-form students enjoy an exceptional educational experience. They are taught by highly knowledgeable teachers and receive an exceptional array of personal development experiences.
• Sixth-form students are very well taught. Complex ideas are explained with clarity. As a result, sixth-form students make excellent progress through the curriculum.
• Students take an active part in the life of the whole school and support the wider community.
Speaking of the report afterwards, Mrs Cooper said, “The outstanding grading of the Sixth Form really represents everything that we do here at Malton School. Many students in our Sixth Form have been with us for nearly 7 years and the positive experience that they have in Sixth Form builds on relationships they have built with staff throughout the School – from teaching staff across the faculties, to pastoral staff, support staff as well as senior leaders. Students who join us in Sixth Form quickly develop those same strong relationships with staff and peers. It is those relationships which mark our Sixth Form and mean I am immensely proud to be its Director of Sixth Form.”
Our work towards academisation is progressing apace and is part of our commitment to continue to ‘strive for excellence’ as well as our careful planning to ensure that the future direction of the School continues to be an upwards trajectory. It is through the efforts of everyone who is linked to Malton School that this recognition has been achieved, and it is through our continued efforts that we will be able to build on this. We would therefore like to thank everyone who has supported Malton School to pursue excellence and achieve this recognition.
You can read the full report here. It is also available on our website: https://www.maltonschool.org/essential-information/statutory-information/ofsted/, including a link to the Ofsted web page for Malton School.