Design Technology – Product Design
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INVOLVE?
This course provides an exciting opportunity to gain the skills and qualifications required for a
career in design. The world we live in is surrounded by design in many different forms. It may be
the products we use or the buildings we live in. It could be the cars we drive or the clothes we
wear. A career in design has so many variations and possibilities to explore. We aim to teach you
the practical skills and technical knowledge to help you recognise the areas of design that are
most suited to you.
Students will develop a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials and processes
used in the field of design and technology. It is important for students, as designers, to learn
about materials and processes so that they can develop a greater understanding of how products
can be designed and manufactured. Students will also learn about industrial and commercial
practices, and the importance of quality checks and the health and safety issues that have to be
considered at all times.
Furthermore, students are expected to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding in design
and practical areas. This will be realised through a coursework unit where a substantial design and
make exercise must be developed through a portfolio and final practical outcome.
PAPER 1 – – Technical Principles
– Written Exam: 2 hours and 30 minutes
– 120 marks, 30% of A Level,
– Mixture of short answer and extended response
PAPER 2 – Designing and Making Principles:
– Written exam: 1 hour and 30 minutes
– 80 marks, 20% of A Level
– Mixture of short answer and extended response questions
– Product Analysis: 30 marks
– Up to 6 short answer questions based on visual stimulus of product(s)
– Commercial manufacture: 50 marks
– Mixture of short and extended response questions
NON EXAMINED ASSESSMENT (NEA) COURSEWORK:
Practical application of technical principles, designing and making principles.
Substantial design and make project:
– 100 marks
– 50% of A Level
– Evidence of written/digital design portfolio including photographic evidence of final prototype
A course of this nature demands commitment, consistency of effort, maturity and self-discipline
but if you have a creative mind and practical skills that you want to develop then this course is
right for you.